The following is a podcast episode from the original Rise Fulfillment podcast in late 2012. E-commerce has changed since 2012, but the packaging basics remain the same.
In this episode, Premier Packaging’s, Chris Winfield takes us through the packaging basics.
Here’s an example of the various “flute” types that Chris mentioned. Not something you can play in the marching band.
Tape (Polly and Water Based) – content provided by Premier
Here are advantages and disadvantages of using Water and Polly based tape.
You can begin shipping immediately with poly tapes, where the water-based tape is a bit more of an investment. I believe that Water Based tape is the best solution for most operations. Before implementing, make sure you have a thorough understanding of how this tape will impact the flexibility and capacity of your process.
(Premier Packaging provided the following content)
Water Activated Tape
- All Weather Use – not affected by extreme hot or cold temperatures
- Superior Strength – fiberglass yarns seal cartons with an extra measure of strength
- Takes on the Dust – our starch-based adhesive absorbs dust and bonds securely to the package. Sealing the seam also acts as a dust barrier.
- Environmentally Friendly – non-cellulose materials can be removed during repulping to allow for easy recycling
- Ergonomic- WAT tape can reduce repetitive motion issues due to extended tape gun use Pilferage Proof – tape removal will irreparably damage the fiber
- Printable – allows the customer to extend their branding and add date coding directly on the tape
Benefits of Pressure-Sensitive Tapes
- Can be easily applied without the need for expensive equipment
- Little to no maintenance cost with the use of pressure sensitive tapes
- Versatile in high volume shipping areas applied via case sealers or erectors
- Very consistent application to corrugated
- Excellent tape strength and bond, adhesive bonds to the corrugated
- Lightweight allows for easy handling and reduced shipping cost
- Printable- generally in one or two colors
- Newer adhesives bond well to high-content recycled corrugated
- Readily available in many colors. Used for coding product visually